
Most of you have been at your placement for a little while, settled in and indeed found a groove to your regular day. Things aren't so foreign any more. People look more familiar. The accents are easier to understand or the language is more intelligible. You don't get lost on a daily basis and don't have the need to carry a map around with you all the time. You don't have to do quick arithmetic to figure out how much things cost in Canadian dollars as it makes sense in the local currency now. You have figured out what you are doing at work and who to go to when you need assistance. Life seems pretty sweet.
As all these chips start to fall into position, it is also important to note this is the time culture shock can sneak up on you. Your honeymoon is ending, you and your internship are settling into a nice marriage.
Suddenly, the seven year itch appears. You are a little bit more touchy than usual. Perhaps you feel blue for no particular reason. You are eating like a cow and drinking like a fish. Sleep seems to be the only respite you get and you are either doing alot of it or not getting enough. Your focus is waning. The little things that you found charming about the culture, like how no one lines up and just pushes their way onto the bus, suddenly piss you off to no end. This my friends is culture shock. I believe that everyone experiences culture shock from one degree to another. Some interns who are in the far flung destinations may experience it intensely but even the three of you in Ottawa will likely have some pangs. The first step in dealing with culture shock is admitting you have it. Once you recognize that it is you that is having the issue, not the rest of the population, you can figure out ways to deal with it. It is not a sign of weakness or an inability to adapt. It is a normal part of the process.
This is what I would like you to blog on for assignment four. Tell us how culture shock has manifested
itself and what you are doing to deal with it. I remember when I moved last year from a small town in Niagara to Toronto, I had culture shock. No one made eye contact, people drove aggressively, there was alot of pushing at the subway. I thought, jeez Torontonians sure are mean and tough. Then I thought, have I made the right decision to pick up my life and move? Then I got sad and called everyone in Niagara. Than I thought man, did I ever soften up when I was in Niagara. Then I got out there and started enjoying the city, seeing old friends, reading NOW magazine, going to theatre productions, all those good things that Toronto has to offer. To be sure, I moved an entire 150km and I experienced culture shock. So lay it on me. Tell me what is going on and how you are handling it. This is where checking out each other's blogs is going to be helpful and hopefully cathartic as you read about others experiencing similar challenges.

3 comments:
I WANT THAT BURGER! :P Seriously though, neat perspective...I'll fill you in on my little emotional breakdown very soon....It took one day and I was back in high spirits! Dont worry!!! :)
How do you write about culture without stereotyping?
I know culture is describing how an environment shapes a person. And there's probably a lot to be said about how people are molded by their surroundings. But I still think it can get confusing...
Maybe my problem is thinking that when I describe a culture I am describing each individual in that culture. And that is not what it's supposed to be about..
Help?
Good question! Culture is definitely something that is applied to a group and describes a group. Perhaps this is a good reflection of why some people had a challenge defining their own culture. In North America, we are incredibly individualistic, as opposed to collectivist. Perhaps if you ask someone from El Salvador what their culture is, they would give you an easier response because they think of what defines them as a group. Hmm. Something to think about.
Regarding stereotyping, try not to think of it as a negative. When stereotypes are blindly and widely applied they can become negative and lead to prejudice and racism. However, to speak about a culture would be generalizing which is akin to stereotyping but without the negative connotation.
Example - when I was in Jamaica, a person started describing Chinese people as "They are so hardworking" and "They have a stronger work ethic". It kind of sounds positive but as we know from recent history at the Toronto City Hall, this can backfire fast.
Post a Comment